Thursday, October 13, 2011

Western Edge is overflowing

I am living on the western edge and it is overflowing. Jobs are in great abundance and everything else is in great demand. I am coming to the close of an epic search for a place to live. Starting with a basement in a family home at $1,100 (and did not really want to do that), moving on to a room in a single ladies home for $600 that I said I wanted and was given to a higher bidder.  My search than spiraled into chaos of exploring, unfinished basements, campers with heaters, buying land and putting up a yurt, sharing a house with an old man and even thought of buying a fixer uper 30miles outside of town.

I ended up living in the house of a board member for two weeks till a really wonderful woman rented me a bedroom in her 3 bedroom house for $550 a month all utilities included. I shared the home with three women and begun my hunt for a more permanent home.

I have put ads on line, put my name on LONG waiting lists, crossed my fingers that I would not need to live with the housing mob, looked at apartments where 10 other people had looked that same day and it had only been open since that morning. I considered month to month rentals and worried about being homeless in the middle of the winter and today signed a 6month lease for a one bedroom with washer, dryer, off street parking and all utilities included for the outrageous price of $950 a month. Will put $500 down tomorrow and I have my fingers crossed that no one out bids me before than.

And my experience is not abnormal, I am by far a lucky person, with old poorly maintained studios going for $1000 a month, I sometimes wonder if I am really in the same US that is having the housing market fall to pieces, ours cant build fast enough

No comments:

Post a Comment