Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Chimp Haven

I first heard about Chip Haven 3 years ago. I was reading about research chimps and the somewhat new legislation that says when they have reached the end of the time having research done on them they need to be given a safe place to live out the remainder of there lives. The article stated that only a few facilities in the United States were currently licensed to do this and one was just outside of Shreveport LA
I knew that I had to go visit. It turned out to be much more complicated than I expected. Chimp Haven believes strongly that their service to the chimps is not a zoo and as a result have very limited public access days. Advanced planning is a must, but the experience is well worth it.


Chimp Haven is a huge facility tucked behind a public green-space giving it the feeling of being even more secluded than it is. During public access days the chimps are lured to the viewing side with an excess of toys and treats, giving you as the visitor a really great animated experience.


Will I go again? Yes if I can make the schedule work
Advice for those living in east Texas: Visit Chimp Haven and pay extra for the hay ride. Plan a trip to visit the park outside Chimp Haven, bring your bike and enjoy the trails. If your like me and love to volunteer check the web site to see if you can be a parking attendant on public access days as a chance to give back to this really wonderful haven,

No comments:

Post a Comment