Friday, August 24, 2012

Roundup Camp

Having a few poorly marked trails on my map that I wanted to get done I drove to the Roundup camp ground, the group camping site for those with horses. Feeling lost, I stopped in the campground to get directions to the trail markers and was pointed towards the river where I got on the Mike Auney Trail. This trail crossest the river and connects up near the petrified forest loop. However I was not dressed for a river crossing, so I wandered on the river bed, finding flowers, and an old propane tank before taking the trail back to its proper start. The Mike Auney Trail head on the east side of the river is located in the Roundup Campsite behind the picnic pavilion near the restrooms or can be accessed on the south side of the campground access road through a small clearing. The signs on this area of the trail are hard to find with many of them broken, the trail itself is poorly maintained and horses have made many other paths that could cause confusion, however its a lovely space in the park and worth a visit.














No comments:

Post a Comment