Monday, September 17, 2012

First 3 weeks of training

If anyone has been following along I apologies my blogging has been almost as dedicated as my training. Almost is the key here.

After a good start with biking to work and I have biked to work about 5 times over the last two weeks. One day about a week and a half ago I went to the gym prepared to do my first long ride of the training. I had 15miles on my mind when I walked in and I was prepared. However 2 miles into my ride my knee started to have intense pain and i pushed through for another mile. Being unable to stand the pain i switched type of stationary bike and did another painful mile. Giving up on the bike I went to the treadmill and walked a final mile, totaling 5 miles for the day. Super bummed I slowly walked back to my apartment and iced my keen while trying to find the cause. Self diagnosis, i had the seat a bit to high and was using my toes more than I should have putting strain on my knee mussel.

Two days of pain and ice before I was back in go mode. I went to the swimming pool and did 30min of laps to help build the muscle group back with almost zero impact. That was a very good choice and I was back on the bike within two days.

Over the past week I have been doing 5 mile rides that are lovely, even if the oil trucks make things a bit dusty, just being on the back roads has been excellent.

Biking North Dakota
Goal for this week bump the 5milers up to 8mile rides and if the weather turns to get a gym pass and do leg training  I am not quite ready to get back on a stationary bike, I read many horror stories after my knee a few weeks ago and think that I want much stronger legs before I try the bike again.

No comments:

Post a Comment