Tuesday, July 9, 2013

putting your soul in what you do

I love the non profit sector. I love knowing that day in and day out I am actively engaged in making the world a better place. That said I continue to find myself in situations where I am giving so fully that I burn out, where the support is not built in, where I start to hit walls and don't have the energy to climb them. For over four years and 5 employers (that's not as bad as it sounds) I have contemplated moving into the for profit sector and continually think that I don't want to spend the largest chunk of my time each day not making a difference.

This month I have gone from feeling on top of the world to freaked out about unrealistic expectations to determined to make it work to crashed and thinking that everything I do is for nothing.

and these are the days where I start to think that money and not a better world might be a more realistic way to take my life.

This is simply another account of the document non-profit burn out that our sector faces. Much of mine come from overwhelming expectations so something is away undone with feeling a lack of control over my career mobility and advancement.

No comments:

Post a Comment