Friday, July 17, 2020

How to fly safer during COVID19

I used to fly 2-3 times a week pre COVID. Post COVID I have made 3 trips by air since in May/ June 2020 and based on my COVID tests did so successfully. 

Two of my flights were with SouthWest and one with American.

If you have an option, pick SouthWest. They did a much better job than any other airline I saw. SouthWest was only selling 2/3 of the planes making extra room everywhere, extra room in the gate, extra room in the bathrooms, extra room in the airport shops, extra room at baggage claim, and very important extra room on the plane.

American was selling 9/10th of the seats, the empty seats were the very last row and in first class. The result was that everything was tighter, I don't think I was ever able to be 6ft away from another person during my flying experience. 

Overall the 5 different US airports I visited were cleaner than before COVID. I wore a mask and was only asked to pull it down briefly when going through TSA security, other than that I was able to leave it on my whole trip.

Airports and Airlines have changing rules on mask-wearing by passengers, I recommend you look at these before making any plans. Denver had a $500 fine for anyone in the airport not wearing a maks, SouthWest required passengers to wear masks on flights. American was encouraging but not requiring.

On all three of my flights, the in-flight services (snacks and drinks) were greatly reduced, with no options. I did get water and a small bag of snacks on all the flights, the distribution varied each time.

I made some additions to my typical flying behavior due to COVID.
- I had a mask just for the airport/ on the plane. As soon as I exited the airport I switched to a fresh mask and put the used one in a plastic container to be disinfected at a later date.

- I brought my own disinfecting wipes (could not find them at the store so made some at home). I used these diligently, wiping every seat and surface that I was going to use, both in the airport and on the plane.

- My own hand sanitizer that I used after I touched anything. Expect to use about half a small bottle on a domestic trip.

- Expect things within the airport to be closed. Having a water bottle and some snacks with you can help eliminate the stress of the kiosk being closed.

I am not planning on flying again until November and I hope that we will see more safety measures in place on my next trip.

https://images.app.goo.gl/pm558fnKaqLqr4V86







No comments:

Post a Comment