Saturday, December 12, 2020

Day Hike a Cedar Butte

Hiking is one of my favorite COVID safe activities. Last weekend I set my alarm on Saturday AM to get to Iron Horse state park before 10am. The trail for the day was Cedar Butte and it was spectacular!

Parking was no problem, the state park lot had lots of spaces on this December morning. There is also a non state park lot that I drove past, not sure what if any permits are needed to park there.

The weather was incredibly nice, mid 50's, Sunny and the occasional gusty breeze.

The Cedar Butte trail has add on options, I added an extra mile at the very start on a very wide/ flat trail to warm up and did an additional 1/2 mile add on the way down, bringing my total miles to 5.

I was able to keep a good distance from others on the warm-up and way up the Butte. Heading down the trail did start to become more crowded. I was glad to see the majority of people were wearing masks and it was easy enough to step off the trail to let people pass.


Pictures from my hike:








The park is only a 45min drive from our house, allows dogs, and has miles and miles of railroad grade trails for walking or biking. I am sure I'll be back to explore more.


See the full hike description here: https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/cedar-butte   


No comments:

Post a Comment